“Uncertain, changing and definitely challenging”
These are words often heard to describe the fashion scene for the year 2017. From fringed hems and tulip shalwars to the incredibly popular off-the-shoulder look, the fashion trends of 2016 had us all standing bleary-eyed in front of our closets at 7 am, the idea of whipping up the perfect work outfit seeming all too daunting.
Ladies and gentlemen, it is time to prepare your closets again! The fashion gods have given their verdict – New Year, new season, new wardrobe. And may we add, this year’s wardrobe will have a lot of personality.
Below is a list of the emerging new trends for spring 2017. Read on to stay ahead of the curve!
1. Stripe Fever – This season stripes are coming back in all the colours of the rainbow. Bold, brilliant, and bad ass. Whereas we have our concerns about wearing them horizontally, skinny hypnotic stripes and broad bands – both are the talk of the season!
From Left to Right: Marc Jacobs and Lacoste
2. Flower Power – Yes, we know. Florals never really left and there is a reason why we fail to bid farewell to this quietly feminine yet silently confident pattern. This particular trend has always been a personal favourite, solely because it comes with a certain kind of ease. A pastel floral top paired with a simple pair of jeans and some flats is probably the most hassle free outfit you can put together. This year, designers are playing with florals in more ways than one. Be it bunches squirted here and there or itty-bitty flowers spread all over in an extremely dense scheme, they are certainly very pleasing to the eye. In need for an instant mood uplift? These babies are your answer!
From Left to Right: Gucci and D&G
3. Utilitarian Chic – Fashionable yet functional, this half army/ half safari trend dating back to 2010 continues to march on! There is nothing like a man dressed in uniform and in the fashion world this holds true for women as well. The easiest way to incorporate this style statement into your clothes is to choose one key piece and build your entire outfit around it. Army jackets, zipper and patch pocket-accented skirts, oversized proportions paired with tailored pieces spell “Utilitarian chic”. Walk in to work sporting this oh-so-drool worthy trend, and let people know you mean serious business.
From Left to Right: Altuzarra, Mulberry and Balmain
4. Shirting Up – Designers keep surprising us by coming up with the most astounding ways to wear the classic button-down shirt. And this season is certainly no different. The boldest and most exciting shirting options in Tokyo Fashion Week emerged on the runway as asymmetric constructions with plenty of volume and embellishments. The designers at New York Fashion Week cut them up, let them slide off the shoulders, covered them with sequins and pushed down the collars to bare those clavicles. The best ones were oversized, buttoned up wrong and tastefully deconstructed. Bottom line: if you don’t own a striped button down, borrow one from the boys pronto and make it your own.
From Left to Right: Monse and Chloe
5. Flatforms and Kitten Heels – It’s a close call but both flatforms and kitten heels are going to be big this season. For the girls who dig the height but hate the heel, flatforms are the answers to your prayers. For the more sophisticated girls, we have kitten heels – because where the French style set leads, we follow blindly! From classic black slingbacks to pointed pumps, choose what your heart desires!
From Left to Right: Dior, Salvatore Ferragamo and Versace
6. Tees that talk – This one is for the introvert that lives in all of us. Not vocal? Not a problem. The message is loud and clear; let your shirt do the talking this year! No need to be clad in a head-to-toe designer look anymore; this trend is all about the understated look, something you can fashion from your very own closet. It is a vibe that says looking good does not have to be complicated. This is for divas who want to update their closets with pieces that, while fashion-forward, require minimal styling effort. This way, even on days that you get over enthusiastic with the snooze button, your ensemble drops no hint of your laziness. Pair with your favourite denim or a mini skirt – We welcome this t-shirt takeover with open arms and guaranteed smiles!
7. Bare it all – The makeup this season on runways all over the world revolved mainly around accentuating the natural beauty of the models. The effortlessly chic bare minimum no makeup, makeup look was seen in all its natural glory, both on and off the catwalk. While this look isn’t exactly “new’ it definitely made a huge statement this season with Kim Kardashian- West wearing no makeup on the Balenciaga front row and Alicia Keys keeping true to her decision to scrap cosmetics altogether.
From Left to Right : Kendall Jenner on the Runway & Kim Kardashian in the front row
8. Neck business – While 2016 was the year of the ‘choker’, the longer much friendlier necklace has made a bold comeback. However, this does not mean that the choker has said its last word. The thick chokers seen in the past seasons have finally given way to delicate wisps of leather or fabric – behold ladies and gentlemen ; the “super fine choker “.
From Left to Right: Dior, Valentino, Loewe and Tory Burch
About The Author – Hadiqa Bhatti
Doctor by day, self proclaimed writer by night | Coffee addict and sarcastic narcissist | Love three-day weekends, getting lost on foreign beaches, high heels, Stephen King and all things Parisian | Lazy but reliable | Easily distracted | Hobbies include breakfast, lunch, dinner and occasional overdosing on chocolate.